The 1921 Tulsa Massacre has emerged from relative obscurity to become part of our national conversation. Its portrayal in pop culture like Watchmen combined with the recent furor over Donald's Trump's decision to hold a campaign rally in Tulsa the day after Juneteenth require viewing this tragic event in the context of a broader history.
This webinar will begin with an introduction by athlete and activist Malcolm Jenkins on his developing documentary project on Tulsa, and how learning about the massacre has affected his view of racism today. An interdisciplinary panel of four prominent academics will link the legacy of Tulsa to the systemic racism that African Americans still face. Local Tulsa activists will share their call for reparations, and finally a session with athletes will look at how they can use their platform to make little known history more visible.
Malcolm Jenkins, WIGH Visiting Fellow; New Orleans Saints; Founder, Malcolm Jenkins Foundation
- Elizabeth Hinton, Associate Professor of History and African and African American Studies, Harvard University
- David J. Harris, Managing Director, Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race & Justice, Harvard Law School
- Nathan Nunn, Frederic E. Abbe Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Heather Ann Thompson, Collegiate Professor of History and African American Studies, the University of Michigan
Moderator: Caleb Gayle, Tulsa-raised journalist.
- Damario Solomon-Simmons, Tulsa attorney, leader in effort for reparations.
- Dr. Tiffany Crutcher, Founder of Terence Crutcher Foundation & Black Wall Street Memorial, Social Justice Activist, Change Agent.
Moderator: Stephen Ortega, WIGH Fellow, Global Sports Initiative; Associate Professor of History, Simmons College.
- Sarah Delgado
- Ray Farmer, NFL General Manager.
- Denise Kwok, Director of USC Student-Athlete Academic Services.
- James Kirkland, Director of Recruiting, University of Illinois.
- Ferran Prieto, Manager of Professional Athletes.
Moderator: Khary Darlington, Writer, Public Speaker, and former scout for the Carolina Panthers.